Sunday, June 05, 2005

First Impressions

I've never had a blog before. In fact, I didn't even know what a blog was before joining the Mississippi Teacher Corps. You see, I'm one of those technologically late bloomers. I like to think I'm on top of the latest advances but every time I get comfortable, I find out that I'm "not with it" or "behind the times." Case in point; cell phones. I just bought my first one about 2 weeks ago. The thing scares me to death every time it rings. Anyway, let me get to the point.

This blog is actually an assignment for EDSE 500, but I will also use it as a venue for venting my frustrations and sharing my joys. So, without further adieu, let's get started.

I have never been so busy in my entire life! This first week as a MTC member has been thoroughly exhausting. It seems as though every hour of the day from 5:30 in the morning to 11:30 at night is filled with some aspect of the program. Whether it's studying for the Praxis II exam coming up on Saturday, preparing a 2 hour lesson plan for my student teaching position, or frantically trying to keep up with the reading for EDSE 500, it seems as though there is never a spare moment to catch my breath.

At the same time, I'm excited by the prospect of teaching. I already have a list of rules for my future classroom, a list of ideas for activities and labs, several different teaching philosophies (if that's possible) and ideas for different lesson plans. I feel like I've been brainwashed. I eat, sleep and breathe teaching!

The program itself has an interesting set up. I feel like I'm in Mississippi's version of MTV's Real World. In fact, I'd call it the MTC’s Real World. 30 people have been thrown together in claustrophobic dormitories (not quite as posh as MTV's Real World abodes, but it works) and events will be played out on this blog. So stay tuned!

God Bless!

4 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Ben Guest said...

Okay, so which Real Worlder are you?

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Reg said...

I feel you on the real world comparison.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Monroe said...

Matt,
Yes it is possible to have multiple philosophies. Mine is constantly changing. I learn something new everyday. Love the Real World metaphor.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Or maybe survivor...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home