Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Reluctant Disciplinarian

In reading the Reluctant Disciplinarian, I realized that I've gotten myself in a whole heap of trouble. I'm taken back to my work as a Big Brother as part of the Big Brothers and Big Sisters program. Initially it was total and utter chaos, and throughout the entire year that I visited my "little's" school, those kids were off the wall, just the kind of behavioral issues that are detailed in the Reluctant Disciplinarian. Great.

I wouldn't say that reading the book wasn't beneficial. It gave me a good laugh every now and then, but I don't really see the point. Please call me on this if I'm wrong, but I don't think we can really learn that much from reading a book about what to do and what not to do. In my opinion (which, may I remind you, comes from a teacher who's really never seriously taught anything before) we won't be able to learn much from a book. Honestly, who is going to stop and think, "What would Rubenstein do in this situation?" as a stapler is flying through the air toward your head? Yes, you may be thinking that I'm exaggerating but I recently spoke with a 2nd year teacher who had this very experience. Believe it or not, this stuff happens, albeit rarely, but I can tell you for certain that Mr. Gary Rubenstein is going to be the last thing on my mind as I'm dodging that stapler.

Instead, I think the best tool for me personally will be good ol` fashioned experience. I am willing to bet that I will have to learn from my own mistakes before I begin to feel comfortable with my classroom management plan. And what’s this garbage about not smiling? Is he serious? I mean when did teaching mean giving up all humanity? People smile; it’s natural. Students are going to begin to question my sanity if I never smile. I could never uphold that form of classroom management. I crack up during student teaching all the time! For example, today, one of my students whipped out a full size bottle of Fabreze in the middle of a discussion on longitudinal waves and started spraying it all around his desk. When I approached him and asked him what in the world he was doing, he said, “Man it stank like a mother up in her (yes, that is her, not here.) and I got’s to have it smelling like flowers so that I can learn appropriately.” If that isn’t funny, I don’t know what is. The characters I have in my classroom are hilarious. Does that mean that I haven’t grown passed the maturity of an eighth grader? I mean, who carries a full size bottle of Fabreze to class with them every day? CrAzY!

I did like Rubenstein’s 5 rules though. You all know what they are and because it’s so late, I’ll save you, and myself, the agony of going over them for the umpteenth millionth time. Well, that’s all for now.

Peace out and happy teaching!
God Bless!

8 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Monroe said...

Matt,
You must smile. Forget what everyone else says. I smiled everyday during my five years as a teacher and still ended up managing my class. Go figure!

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,

Just Googled on to this post. Thanks very much! I'm a former executive in my first week of teaching and I lost it in front of my class yesterday, the first Friday of school. I mean lost it to the point where I thought my head would explode from screaming.

Generally speaking I'm a natually smiley guy and I'm in teaching for the humanity of it. So I guess that means the humanity of everyone in the room, myself included; so I had a human reaction. I can't be smiley if they piss me off.

But what appealed to me about your post was the part about mastering classroom management by experience rather than a book. I came to teaching through NYC Teaching Fellows and they very kindly handed me Gary R.'s "Reluctant Disciplinarian" at our first orientation. Although it's informative I too believe the only real guide is going to be living through it and seeing what works and what doesn't.

I'm not proud of the fact that I blew up at my period 5 class so early on and I feel like crap about it (although it was satisfying and cathartic in the immediate) but it's time to move on and work out a plan for Monday. Period 5 and I are all in this together and I need to get us into a rhythm that works for us all.

I'm finding my way, slowly and not so surely...

Matt (my name also).

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://utairway.com/en/reg-Bird_Watching-359-85.html - Bird Watching
Bird Watching

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://isater.com/news/categ-Home_Business_Consultants-189.html - Home Business Consultants
Home Business Consultants

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://chea-music.cheap-mp3-download.com
chea music

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://roorex.net/en/search-sohbetnet.html - sohbetnet
sohbetnet

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://utairway.com/en/reg-Adult_Travel-427-154.html - Adult Travel
Adult Travel

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://roorex.net/en/search-wien.html - wien
wien

 

Post a Comment

<< Home