Saturday, April 07, 2007

How do you get kids excited about class when summer is around the bend?

It's been three weeks since we have come back from spring break. Usually it takes me about a full week just to get back in the swing of things, but surprisingly it only took me a Monday this time. I wish I could say the same for the students. It appears that our students have taken an early summer break and it's barely April! They've got at least another two months left; well, most of them. (More on that later.) I don't know if I've worked them too hard this year and they are just worn out or if the taste of freedom they gained over spring break left them wanting more for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to summer too, but I view summer a little differently than most people. I'm going to tackle that topic in my next blog.

Back to the point of my students shutting down too early. Now I am not blaming my students for wanting to take an early summer vacation. Let's face it, we all were eager to get to summer when we were students ourselves. I do, however, feel that it is my responsibility to get them excited about class. I know, I know; excited about class? Come on. However, I think I have been successful up to spring break achieving this end. We really do have a good time in class especially when everyone is respecting the rules and each other. So, how do I get them excited about class when summer vacation is at the forefront of everyone's thinking? I have a few ideas that I will not post here because I know my students often read my blogs. Sorry guys. Perhaps I'll post some of them during next month's blogs.

Until then, good luck with state tests!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home