Monday, July 04, 2005

Summer Reflections

Now that the first round of student teaching is finished, I can take some time to offer a reflection on how the summer has gone thus far. All in all, I am quite pleased with how my student teaching went. My class was typical of a 7th and 8th grade science class. Each student was sufficiently rambunctious to offer me some insight on what the fall might be like. I had my good students and I had my trouble makers. I am thankful for the good students because their eagerness to learn made me feel as though I knew what I was doing...at least in some capacity. Although I don't like to admit it to them, I am also thankful for my trouble makers for giving me the opportunity to work on my classroom management skills.

Here is a list of some of the things upon which I'd like to improve before taking over my class in the fall:

1.) Content delivery: I feel as though I need to increase my "wow factor." I need to stir up a curiousity with the likes of no other in each of my students. I want them to gain a passion for science. As is, I don't think I'm doing that. I feel like the boring teacher; one who is collegiate and can't connect with 7th and 8th graders.

2.) Classroom management: I want to have complete control over my class. They deserve an undisrupted learning enviornment. I don't want to be that teacher who doesn't smile either. I refuse to be a dictator. At the same time, I know I can't be their friend. How do I reconcile those two?

3.) Presence: I don't know if this is something that can be developed. It may just be in one's genes. Natural teachers have a presence about them. When they walk into a room, students know that it is time to learn and not time to chat with neighbors. However, like I said before, I don't want the presence of a dictator. I want the students to respect me but not fear me.

That's it. Those three things are at the top of my agenda.

The class, EDSE 500, went well too. I feel as though I am so much more prepared to face my class in the fall with the "tools" that Ms. Monroe has provided. Thanks Ms. Monroe! You rock!

Well, that's all for the first part of the summer. I went home over the break and had a fantastic conversation about consequences, rewards, and class discussions with my girlfriend. I'm telling you, this girl has some great insight! I now feel like I have some very strong insight into how I will be an effective classroom manager. I will be blogging some of these ideas out in the coming days so stay tuned!

God's Peace!

1 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confirm. All above told the truth. We can communicate on this theme.
On your place I would address for the help to a moderator.
Excuse for that I interfere … To me this situation is familiar. I invite to discussion.
It agree
Very useful piece

[url=http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/shenenmaoyiqwe/posts/333096/Designer+Handbags+For+2011+Exactly+What+The+Fad][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyipp.smartlog.dk/things-that-you-ought-to-carry-inside-your-handbag-post1262840][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapbags8.blogbaker.com/2013/01/17/exclusive-selection-of-bags-obtainable-in-louise-v][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/saddle-bags-for-your-cycle/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.squidoo.com/cheapbag][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home