Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Comparison of first weeks of school (past and present)

In this blog, you will find a detailed account of some of the changes I've made during the first week of school this year as opposed to what I did last year. Let me start off by saying that this new year has been amazing. I feel like I'm teaching in a different world. It's amazing. Test scores are higher, I haven't written up a single student, and I'm enjoying going to work everyday. So what is the difference? Well, it helps to know my way around the school. Instead of asking other teachers where this is or what I do with that, I know because I've been through it before. It gives me a more general feeling of confidence.

By far, however, this new feeling of actually being a "real teacher" is a direct result of two key changes. First, discipline. Last year I was a push over the first couple of weeks and I paid for it the whole year. Students were rude and obnoxious. They were disrespectful and constanly complained. This year, I hit the ground running. I went in that first week and expected nothing less than complete subordination and respect. It may sound bad to you non-teacher folks, but it is so important to establish yourself as the authority of the classroom during the first week because if you don't, you won't ever establish it. Your students will win the authority. I wasn't going to let that happen this year. I was firm with my rules and followed through with my consequences. Now I have near perfect classes.

I have to admit though, it is easy to get comfortable and to let up a bit. In fact, today, I found myself letting somethings slide. In 4th period I let a student in after the bell without a tardy and in 6th period, I let some members of the class talk without punishment. That is unacceptable. Tomorrow I will be extra strict and won't let anything go. The key is consistency. I'm practicing what I preach this year because last year was miserable.

The second major change that I made has little to do with school but at the same time it has everything to do with school. I am now a coach. I took over the newly formed cross country team this year. I absolutely love coaching. It has always been an aspiration of mine to coach a track or cross country team and now I'm doing it. It's without a doubt the highlight of my day. If I have a bad day for whatever reason, I now have a constructive outlet for my frustration. What's more is that I love to run but last year I always had excuses not to. Most of them consisted of the fact that I had very little time to run because of all the school work I had to do. This year, I am forced to run and I love it. My team is amazing. We have our first meet tomorrow. Most of my runners are dedicated and hard working. I think we'll even have some runners in the top 20! Coaching also has won me more credibility within school as well. Even students who aren't on my team identify me as Coach Lochen and respect me more. In fact, students I've never had know who I am and they've heard how great Cross Country is. It's just great to establish a role in which students look up to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home