Sunday, August 27, 2006

Where do we draw our strength?

Having just returned from Sunday morning Mass, I find myself in a reflective state. (Mass seems to have that effect on me...Go figure.) Today's homily was typical in that it presented the dichotomy of earthy possessions versus God's spiritual gifts. (Although the message is one I've heard several times before, the priest used an amazing set to pull us in. He spoke of the meeting of Makeda, better known as the Queen of Sheba, and the wise King Solomon. Sometimes I think priests with their uncanny abilities to focus a large number of people would make amazing classroom teachers.) Anyway, the homily got me thinking about different types of spirtitual gifts. The gift that I find myself reflecting on at present is the gift of strength. I'm not talking about physical strength but I'm talking about the strength to carry on in difficult situations. The strength that I am thinking of is more like determination or will.

Last year was a difficult year. Perhaps the most difficult year of my life. I was cast into an unfamiliar setting, hundreds of miles from home, doing something that didn't really make me happy except for a few fleating moments. (Last year happens to be the complete antithesis of this year, but I'll explain in a future blog.) Last year is over and a new year has begun. The question is, from what did I draw my strength? How did I ever make it through all those days in which I struggled to survive (not literally of course) and end up where I am now?

The simple answer to this question is faith. When I felt down, I could always look to my faith to pull me through. However, I also feel that I am strengthened by the challenges that others face. Case in point; I recently learned that my grandfather is an avid reader of my blogs. (Hi Grandpa!) I find it a bit ironic that he followed along closely with my struggles in the classroom even as he was struggling with his own battle with cancer. The irony lies in the fact that I drew much of my determination from his own struggles. He inspires me in the face of his illness. What's more is that it puts my struggles into perspective. His determination to fight his illness day after day after day ispires me to fight the disadvantages that many of my students have faced throughout their entire childhood.

Another inspiration is my mother, truly the best teacher I have ever known in all aspects of the word. Even though she teachs first grade in a parochial school, she has seen it all and offers comforting "teaching" words when I feel like I won't pull through. If you ever want to be inspired in your teaching, talk to a first grade teacher. Theirs is unarguably the most important job in education. They not only have to teach students how to read and write, and we all know that reading is the single most important key to an educated life, but they also have to shape young children into students. First graders are not used to an academic environment. In many cases, it is the first time these students are going to school for a full school day. Furthermore, first grade teachers have 7 preps! And we high school teachers think we have problems?! Geeze.

1 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! 

How do you change the size of your monitor?

Wow, I've found the same to be true too!  Where did you get that at?  

See you soon! Girly Girl 


[color=#9db][url=http://online-surveys-get-paidppmbvkqy.blogspot.com]how I make money with paid surveys[/url][/color]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home