Sunday, April 30, 2006

Lessons I've learned and the person I strive to be

My last post detailed what I will do differently as a teacher next year given the lessons that I have learned this year. This blog is along those same lines; however, here I will discuss what I will do differently to enrich myself as person. One of the problems I encountered during my first year of teaching is that I couldn't seem to separate my work life and my personal life. I found myself bringing home papers to correct, spending more time with my school work than Andrea, and when I wasn't physicallly working on school work, I would be worrying about it. It consumed every aspect of my life. It even became the focus of my dreams...or should I say nightmares.

This year I will try to separate my two lives more; although because Andrea is moving across the country, I guess I don't have much incentive anymore. Well, I suppose my mental health should count for something. So here is my plan to live an enriching life OUTSIDE of school.

1.) Only work at school. I will not bring work home even if I have to stay late.

2.) Get more involved with my community. Next year I will be volunteering at St. Jude's research hospital. Since I was little, I have been very excited about their mission. Now that I find myself living 15 minutes away, I simply can't pass up this opportunity.

3.) Plan my wedding from 750 miles away. Not exactly the easiest feat but if Kate and Lee can do it, Andrea and I can do it too.

4.) Go running more often! It has been so difficult this past year to find time to go running, something I love to do. This year, I will be coaching cross country so there will be some time for that, but I want to continue running throughout the year on account of such mild winters.

5.) Read more. Despite what Andrea thinks, I really enjoy reading. I just don't have time to read 5 books a week like her. I couldn't be more excited that she will be back in her literary realm at the University of Michigan's MFA program. At Michigan, I hope she will find a supportive community of writers who are just as obsessed with creating the perfect story as she is. We have this deal in which I am able to be the FIRST to read any completed work of hers, and in light of the fact that she'll be surrounded with creativity and support, I have a feeling I'll be able to accomplish my goal of reading more often quite easily.

Well, that's just the start of some of the steps I hope to take this year to preserve my sanity. I've come to find that many people think teaching is the perfect job with the perfect hours. 8-3:30 and summers off. What is better than that? What idiots! Teaching for me is like 2 full time jobs! From 4:30 in the morning until about 9:30 at night! I rarely get a break. Well, next year my focus will be to win back my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home