Sunday, July 17, 2005

Peer Teaching Self-Reflection

Let me emphasize that watching a video of myself teaching is not my cup of tea. It's crazy seeing myself as a teacher. That said, I think it is quite helpful to some degree because it allows me to see some of my nervous habits and just how much I move around the classroom.

I don't really want to break the whole rubric down by each individual criterion so let me just say that I think, to the best of my knowledge, I performed really well in regard to the rubric. I covered each objective, offered both independent and guided practice, walked around all students, used a variety of different teaching methods and questioning methods, and was dressed professionally among others. Despite the fact that I feel as though I mastered the rubric, mostly because I find myself teaching to the rubric, I do not feel as though the lesson was a success. Now I don't want to sell myself short, I think that most students would have been able to accomplish each objective but as for those students who may present a bit more of a challenge for a teacher, I think they may have left my room confused. I would have liked to spend at least 2 days on the lesson (which covered organizing data through various methods including pie charts, bar graphs, line graphs, and tables).

What I learned from this lesson and the past few days of teaching is that even if you master a rubric which is used to evaluate the effectiveness of a teacher, you still may not be the most effective teacher. I really take it to heart when people tell me that in order to be a great teacher, one must be a life long learner. I know I have so much more to learn about teaching before I can truly be an effective instructor. I really wish that the summer session would put more emphasis on content delivery than other issues like classroom management. We need to know about content delivery BEFORE we start teaching in the fall, yet the class is during the fall semester. I feel as though I may need some help conveying the information that I know to 9th graders. According to the Wong and Wong book, one of the biggest oversights of first year teachers is that they tend to lecture too much because a collegiate teaching style is the most familiar teaching style to them. I feel as though I have this problem to a certain extent and I’m excited about finding other ways to convey my knowledge.

That’s all for now!

3 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi and hello there M t Lochen, I get sidetracked easily these days. After spending many hours checking out websites looking for peer 2 peer related info. I decided to try some blog sites. I found much more usable and updated information on the blog related sites than the regular websites...this is very cool. I gotta get me one of these when I find the time. My site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com needed some updated info. After that, I thought I would check out some of the other kind of blog sites. Some are pretty cool. It's been fun. Thanks M t Lochen, mike

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog site M t Lochen. While searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. Wow, there are so many of them it's amazing. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until last year. Now they're everywhere. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a lttle bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks M t Lochen, Mike

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there M t Lochen, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for peer to peer related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home