Sunday, March 05, 2006

Procedure/Reward

One of my procedures that has worked really well over the past few months is not really a procedure at all. It is my classroom rewards chart. It's a bit complicated in the beginning but students catch on quickly. Each class receives a numerical score based on their behavior on any given day. For example, on Friday, my third period received a score of 3. The scale extends from 1-5 with 5 being a perfect score and 1 being the lowest score. Classes with excellent classroom behavior will earn a 5 for that particular day. Classes with sub-standard classroom behavior will earn less than a 5 for that particular day. I keep track of scores on a classroom rewards chart that hangs above the blackboard (i.e. every student can see it). At the end of a two week (10 day) period, I add up the scores for each class. There is a total of 50 possible points. If a class earns between a 45-50, they will get 15 minutes of free time at the end of the period. If they earn between a 40-45, they will get 10 minutes of free time at the end of the period. If a class earns 30-40, they receive no free time, and if a class earns less than 30, they will be given homework on the weekend.

This reward system has worked tremendously well for my class because students police each other. When ever I bring up the rewards chart, other students will enforce my class rules for me. Furthermore, because all students can see the score of every class, different class periods compete with each other for the highest scores. Students really enjoy it.

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy that this is working for you. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home