Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Why are my kids so unmotivated?!

So today I gave my very first CMS test. For those who are lucky enough not to have CMS (I think it stands for curriculum management system...or I could have just made that up) tests, they are just tests which are created by the district and scored by the district. I thought my students would ace the test with no problems, but I'm not entirely convinced that was the case. When asked how the test was, about one fourth of my students said it was easy but another one fourth said it was hard. The other one half apparently couldn't make up their minds so they didn't choose one side over the other. I'm concerned about my students. I have very high expectations of them and the class unanimously stated that the CMS tests were much easier than my tests. However, many of my students are failing. If I had to give a rough estimate, I'd say about 40% of them are earning F's at the moment. Now many of those students are earning F's because they consistently fail to attempt, let alone complete, their homework. They do not study a lick and they expect to come into my class and ace the test. I mean, come on. What is with these kids? When I was younger...well, I suppose I really didn't have to deal with apathy. My parents knocked any and all apathy right out of me by the time I arrived at high school, but my students don't seem to care about their education at all. They are so concerned about the here and now, the short term rewards like what they will do Friday night after the football game, who's house party(where are the parents?!) will they attend this weekend, how can they get their hands on a fake id? Education is the last thing on their minds. How do I change that?!

I try to make it relevant to the students but orbital theory can only be stretched so far. Let's face it, these kids will NEVER see it again especially those who do not go on to college. I guess I'm just trying to create some science literacy for the future but if they can't remember what we did in class 2 days ago, how are they going to remember applications of orbital theory 25 years from now?

I guess the fact that I'm so bummed with the motivation, or lack thereof, of my students is a good thing. I feel as though I am slowly clawing my way out of the survival stage and into the um...well, the next stage what ever that may be. I desperately want my students to care about the subject matter so that they will want to improve their grades. Hopefully in another 2 months from now I will have more ideas and at least some more of my students will find science interesting.

On the bright side, I had 2 students tell me that my geekish energy for science not only makes them laugh but also makes them feel more connected to the lesson. While I think that was a compliment, I am just so incredibly happy that I have SOME students that I'm affecting. I think the fact that I'm younger has a lot to do with that. My students seem to connect better to younger teachers. They are the teachers that the kids are always talking about. Mr. Harris (Joel from MTC), Mr. Lance (some other younger teacher) and Mr. Lochen. We get all the publicity from the students. It's great! Students, in some ways, seem to be more receptive to us.

Anyway...I'm rambling. It's bedtime.

2 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1-In-10 Consumers Read Blogs
TechWeb News Participation in three of the technologies highest on the Internet's buzz list -- blogging, reading RSS feeds, and engaging in social networking -- is climbing, a research firm said Wednesday, but ...
What a wonderful place you have here!
I hope you are having luck with your efforts!
My blog is Richards Website Design, if you ever wanted to visit there or you could also visit my site to create and design your website if you were inclined to
start or expand. www.richardswebsitrdesign.com
Take a look.
Phil

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Ben Guest said...

The next stage is the "bummed by lack of student motivation stage."

One of the hardest things to do is to fail your students. Of course, it's not that you fail them, it's that they fail themselves. Richard Campbell, one of our science teachers who finished last year, failed about 40% of his class his first year. And here's the part people don't understand: He failed those kids because he cares about them. He wasn't just going to pass them on if they hadn't made the effort to learn the material. Believe it or not it does get easier. But that first year it is difficult to watch some of your students fail. What you ultimately realize is that it is their choice. The flip side is the students who work hard to learn. That is one of the biggest rewards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home