Wednesday, August 31, 2005

NO SCHOOL!

As I take about 5 spare minutes to reflect on how the past four weeks of school has gone, all that I can think about is how I really don't have 5 spare minutes to reflect. In fact, I need to write the chapter test that my classes will take on Friday. One of these nights I also plan on getting some sleep. While I am feeling overwhelmed with the duties and responsibilities of being a teacher, I did have one very positive event occur just yesterday. That event: School was cancelled!

Ok, so this is my testimony to the existance of God. Hear me out. While I shouldn't have reduced my prayers to desperate pleas for more time to organize my lesson plans, etc. I will admit that I found myself praying for a day off on Monday night. Now, up here in DeSoto county (that's just south of Memphis for the geographically impaired...and yes, I am one of them) we shouldn't have had to worry about tropical storm Katrina. So you see, my prayer was merely a prayer. I didn't have much hope that school would be cancelled. When I woke up on Tuesday at 4:00 a.m. to begin refining lesson plans and grade some papers, I noticed that the rest of the city was unusually dark. It turns out that the power went out throughout much of Southaven and therefore, school was cancelled! So I did what any God-fearing Christian would do and dropped to my knees to give thanks!

For all of those who did not get a day off, try praying! It works. And what a restful day it was. I drove down to Oxford and talked to Ben for a while and Ms. Monroe, I dropped by your office but you weren't there. I tried!

Well, it's late and I really should be writing up that Chapter test. I don't think I've ever been so busy in my life but at the same time, I really enjoy the challenge of teaching. It pushes my creativity levels and every day is something new. I hope all of you in the Delta are also finding some solace in the fact that you're doing something truly amazing. Go get `em tigers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home